[Some Things I Learned]

I'm on the way to the states now. I'm trying to process all that happened in Zambia and all that God wanted to teach me.

1. I think of the Mamas and the beautiful example they set for all of us. They are truly servants of God. They are up EVERY MORNING before 4:30 so they can worship and pray for us, the kids, and for Zambia. Every day they served like no one I've ever seen. It was obvious that "The joy of the Lord is their strength." They made our meals, took care of the kids at the orphanage, while some even served as translators at camp during the day! At night they would stay up after we went to bed and wash all of our dishes so we could eat on them the next morning. These are INCREDIBLE WOMEN OF GOD! I so want to be like them. I want to serve like them. I want to seek after God like them.

2. Next, I think of the kids, or the fourteen year olds I got to know at camp. I think of how big their smiles despite their struggles: not having enough food, physical pains, the loss of parents, and medical issues like suffering from malaria. I am smacked in the face with my own blessings, and lack of struggles. My heart sinks as I realize how little I glorify God with what I have been graciously given. For example, I have been given money so that I can bless others, yet most often I use it to further bless myself. Ouch. My first thought after this was, "Oh...well if I give my money away, I won't be able to have fun or enjoy things, or treat myself. This calling doesn't seem too great God." Geeze. COULD I BE ANY MORE SELFISH? Thankfully, God doesn't call doesn't leave us with sad or un-fun lives. I'm realizing it's quite the opposite. By giving and using what God has blessed us with, we enter into a deeper, more meaningful place. Instead of being half satisfied by attempting to fill ourselves with "happiness", God brings us fulfillment and great joy when we are selfless and put others before ourselves.

3. Another thing I've learned in Zambia is how little time we actually have with people. In the US, it is easy to get lazy in our evangelism or in ways we reach out to people. We think, "Oh, I'll talk to them later. I want to do this first." That's the way it's been with me at least. When we get caught up in our day to day routine, we forget that each moment matters. We need to declare the Gospel boldly with the radical, self-giving love that was first shown to us by Christ. It's people's lives we are dealing with. It's a matter of life and death. I'm not saying to make a show of things or be like televangelists. I'm saying that talking with someone about Jesus, or showing them love are not things we need to put off until a "better time". The time is now.

4. I learned that Zambians value relationships...much more than Americans. They will talk with you for an hour even if it means not getting everything they wanted to done. Talking with you and getting to know you is more important than an agenda. With school, or as with anything, it is not an easy thing to apply here in the States. However, it should at least serve as a reminder about what we should focus on. If relationships with people are not our priority, then what are we saying to those around us? Essentially, it's like saying that I don't care about your life, your heart, or your future. That may seem a little extreme, but it's at least something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment