[July 15-Training]

Yesterday was a L-O-N-G day. After hours and hours of VBS training, my positive attitude turned negative. I was tired and worn out. Thankfully, God had everything planned! He gave me rest and an outlet to just sit and chill for a couple hours. Sarah, my team leader, invited the MA's (missionary advisors) to her tent to make journals. We decorated them with neat paper and stickers she had brought. It was nice to talk to people my own age for a change! (or at least people who I'm not in charge of) Then, last night we had "MAG time" where we got to sit in our tents and just hang out with our group. Sarah peeked in when we had just claimed we were having "crush-aholics anonymous". hehe She came in and joined as we talked about boys and past experiences. It was a blessing to see the girls' hearts and learn more about them.

Today in training I learned a little saying: "North Americans wear the watches, Zambians have the time." I totally believe this as all the adults and kids just want to talk and get to know us. It's a wonderful difference than how things are in the US. I also learned how you say good morning and good afternoon(which is used as any other time other than the morning).

Pronounced like:
-Mocha-bwan-gee! (Good morning! How are you?)
-Bwee-no! (I am well!)

-Moo-lee-bwan-gee (Good morning! How are you?)
-Bwee-no! (I am well!)

I also learned how to talk about God to the Zambian people in a way that they can best relate. Apparently, in western culture, we view things as being right or wrong. In Asia, things are viewed as bringing honor or shame. Here in Africa, it's about fear or power. Our teaching is going to be told in such a way that shows how God has power over fear. Cool, eh? I thought so anyway.

Other little tidbits that I wrote down from our sessions was:
- Give children what they need, not what they want. Although we may want to give them our shoes or extra shirts, our main purpose is to offer them what they need, which is Jesus.
- Let people see that you have been with Jesus.
- God wants to use you and speak to you more than you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment