"Trust in the Lord", it says. My idea of trust has been to believe that God will bless me, that He will provide for me, comfort me during hard times, that He won't leave me hanging etc. But I've noticed in myself that I can reach a point where I want to take a hold of things because God's plan just isn't cutting it. I doubt that God is still working in my situation and I feel the need to act or "help God out". haha So silly. I then begin to do the second part of the verse. I lean on what I know about the situation. I start wanting to "fix" things and make things happen. In doing that I put my trust in my feeble, small, unfit hands. And you know what I'm learning that leads to? Stress. Failure. Exhaustion. Disappointment.
So what is real trust? Trust in its basic form is: the firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something. In this case, (in every case really) that someone is God. I like that the definition says "firm belief". It's a f-i-r-m--b-e-l-i-e-f. It's unyielding, unmoving. It doesn't change when things down look like they aren't working out. It doesn't stop after a certain period of time has passed and nothing has happened. It-doesn't-give-up.
It's my prayer that I would trust in the Lord more...that I would not be swayed by doubt or wanting to do things on my own. And that's my prayer for you too. Because if we submit to Him in all our ways, then He will make our paths straight as we walk with Him. And that, my friends, sounds like a glorious thing.
This is beautiful...as are you. :)
ReplyDeleteWow. I was just reading pretty much exactly what you just wrote in one of Beth Moore's books yesterday. She was talking about fear and how we say we trust God, but that we really trust Him to do what we want Him to do. We trust Him to keep us safe, to comfort us, to keep the people we love safe, to provide for us on our terms. But that's not real trust at all. It's conditional. We don't trust Him with what we're really afraid of or to be in control even (and especially) when we've lost control. I really like the definition you found and the emphasis on a firm belief too. We're so easily swayed, especially when we feel like things aren't working out. And that, my friend, does nothing good for us. He is in control, always. He is bigger than anything we can ever imagine and has wonderful things in store for me and for you! I'm praying for you sweet friend! :)
ReplyDelete